Point Erin – Google Maps link for precise location
Liberate the Lane at the Auckland Marathon – Friendly Protest 🏃♂️🚴♀️
Are you passionate about getting a dedicated lane on the harbour bridge for walking, running, cycling and wheeling? Do you believe in the power of community and friendly protests? Join us at the Auckland Marathon to show your support for opening a lane for climate-friendly transport on the bridge while cheering on the incredible marathon runners!
What’s the plan?
- We’ll gather near the marathon route, holding signs and banners advocating for a bike lane on the bridge.
- We’ll cheer for and encourage the dedicated marathon participants as they pass by, spreading positive energy and solidarity.
Why are we doing this? Opening a lane on the bridge for walking, cycling and wheeling is a win-win situation for our community. It closes a glaring gap in our transport network, makes our roads more inclusive for everyone, increases the resilience of our transport system, provides for accessibility and more affordable transport choices, and makes it easier for people to choose sustainable, healthy transport modes.
In the 2020 consultation 78% of the aucklander respondents supported walking and cycling, and in 2023 66% said they would walk or cycle across the Harbour.
At last year’s Auckland Marathon we held Liberate the Lane signs and rang our bike bells in support of the runners – and they cheered for us back. By participating in this friendly protest, we will continue to raise awareness about this glaring gap in our transport network, and show that Liberate the Lane has broad support
What to bring:
- Your enthusiasm and positive vibes!
- Homemade signs with messages painting our vision for walking, running, cycling and weeling access on the harbour bridge and why it matters.
- Cool drinks, snacks or breakfast and sunblock.
- This is a peaceful and friendly protest. Respect and kindness towards all participants, including the marathon runners and law enforcement, are essential.
- Follow all traffic rules and guidelines while cycling or participating in the event.
Let’s come together as a community, show our support for sustainable transport, and have a fantastic time at the Auckland Marathon! Invite your friends and family to join this unique and positive event.
See you there!
Shareable Biketober website event link here